SPELD NSW Professional Development Program
2015 Certificate Course for Teachers of Students with Specific Learning Difficulties.
Note: Strictly limited numbers, Applications close 6th March 2015 or before if all spaces are filled.
Course commences on 7th March 2015.
Do not send any fees with this application form. Return this application form either by email or post it to us, Attention: Carolyn Washburn.
Norma Cowper Scholarship (applications close 23rd Jan 2015)
A scholarship for a Department of Education and Communities Teacher from a NSW Regional area to undertake the 2015 course. Scholarship will cover costs of travel and accommodation and provide a meal allowance for the six weekends of the course. It does not include the Registration Fee.
This SPELD NSW course has been designed for teachers of students who have learning difficulties, mainstream classroom teachers who wish to update their teaching skills and anyone wishing to become a SPELD NSW tutor. It will provide up-to-date, research-based information concerning the acquisition of literacy and numeracy skills. The course will be run on 6 weekends between 7 March to 28 June, 2015.
The purpose of this course is to provide opportunities for participants to learn how to:
1. Select assessment and diagnostic methods and tools which are consistent with their purpose(s);
2. Search for, and evaluate, research on spelling, early reading, comprehension, written expression and numeracy acquisition and instruction;
3. Identify instructional programs whose effectiveness has been empirically demonstrated; derive principles from these to guide the evaluation and, where necessary, the supplementation, of commonly used instructional programs and materials;
4. Construct instructional programs for learners with special needs, based on the findings of the literature search;
5. Measure the effectiveness of instructional procedures in reading and spelling used with learners with special needs.
Participants will experience learning in this course through the following methods: lecture, small group activities, quizzes, class discussions, individual readings.
Literacy tutors, Support teachers, K-6 primary school teachers, Secondary School literacy teachers.
Weekend Dates and What’s On
7 & 8 March, 2015 – Introduction
21 & 22 March, 2015 – Reading
2 & 3 May, 2015 – Spelling
23 & 24 May, 2015 – Written Expression
13 & 14 June, 2015 – Comprehension
27 & 28 June, 2015 – Maths * first weekend of school holidays
LIN MEEKS MA (Spec. Ed), B.A., Grad Dip Ed.
CRISS MOORE Bach of Teaching (Honours)
ANITA CHIN BSc/DipEd, MEd
SALLY ROBINSON-KOOI – Bed (TESOL), Dip of Teaching (Primary)
DR. SAMANTHA HORNERY
KAREN KELLY – BAdipED, Masters of Education
Wendy Coggins – B. App. SC (Sp Path), MSPAA, CPSP (Guest Speaker)
Walter Howe, Educational Psychologist (Guest Speaker)
Check the 2015 Teachers Course Information and Application Form (PDF 692 KB) For more information about each of the Course Educators and the Course itself.
SPELD NSW – NSW Institute of Teachers’ endorsed provider of Institute Registered professional development for the maintenance of accreditation at Proficient Teacher/Professional Competence.
Scope of Endorsement
Standards 1, 2, 3, 5 and Descriptor 4.1.2 of the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers at the level of Proficient Teacher
Elements 1, 2, 3 and Standard 5.2.3 of the NSW Professional Teaching Standards at Professional Competence