This event has been postponed. All events tentatively set at 1 September. Exact dates will be announced as the situation changes.
Thank you for your understanding.
This two-day professional development workshop offers an overview of the Talk for Writing approach and provides opportunities for hands-on participation in this exceptionally effective instructional approach for teaching written expression.
The workshop addresses the use of Talk for Writing for both fiction and non-fiction and covers:
- Planning: based on instructional needs of students at either a unit or whole-school level;
- The “Three I’s” – Imitation, Innovation and Independent Application – The fundamentals of the Talk for Writing approach, by guiding students in a systematic, scaffolded way they develop their writing from dependence to independence;
- Student skill development is promoted through effective feedback;
- Accurate assessment of writing, assists in track students’ progress and guides teaching goals; and
- Development of grammatical skills, with a focus on functional application of grammar in writing, through ‘warm-up’ games selected to meet specific instructional needs of students.
WHEN: 9.00am to 3.30pm, Wednesday, 1 April to Thursday 2 April 2020.
Non Member $445
SPELD Tutor $360
Sorry this event is now full
Presented by Peta Collins
Peta is an educational and developmental psychologist, a qualified teacher and an experienced DSF Talk for Writing trainer. She has been closely involved in the development of DSF’s Talk for Writing workshops, at both primary and secondary level, and has benefited from the invaluable support and expertise of Pie Corbett, Dean Thompson and Maria Richards since the introduction of TfW to Australia. Peta also uses the Talk for Writing approach in individual and small-group tuition with students of all ages who are experiencing literacy learning difficulties.
Completing this event will contribute 10.5 hours of NESA Registered PD addressing 1.1.2, 1.2.2, 1.6.2, 2.1.2, 2.5.2, 3.2.2, 5.1.2 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers towards maintaining Proficient Teacher Accreditation in NSW.