This two-day professional development workshop offers an overview of the Talk 4 Writing approach and provides opportunities for hands-on participation in this exceptionally effective instructional approach for teaching written expression.
The workshop addresses the use of Talk 4 Writing for both fiction and non-fiction and covers:
- Planning: based on instructional needs of students at either a unit or whole-school level;
- The “Three I’s” – Imitation, Innovation and Invention – The fundamentals of the Talk 4 Writing approach, by guiding students in a systematic, scaffolded way they develop their writing from dependence to independence.
- Student skill development is promoted through effective feedback;
- Accurate assessment of writing, assists in track students’ progress and guides teaching goals; and
- Development of grammatical skills, with a focus on functional application of grammar in writing, through ‘warm-up’ games selected to meet specific instructional needs of students.
This workshop is aimed at primary school teachers and tutors.
Presented by registered psychologist Courtney McNally. Courtney has extensive knowledge in the area of learning difficulties. She is a passionate advocate for Talk for Writing, and has found the program to be highly engaging and effective for students of all ages and abilities, including those students with learning difficulties.
WHEN: 9am to 3.30pm, Thurs, 21 March 2019
9am to 3.30pm, Friday, 22 March 2019
WHERE: SPELD NSW. Level 1, 52 O’Connell Street, Parramatta
COST: Members – $410
Non-Member – $445
SPELD Tutor or Professional – $360
Completing this event will contribute 10.5 hours of NESA Registered PD addressing 1.1.2, 1.2.2, 1.6.2, 2.1.2, 2.5.2, 3.2.2, 5.1.2 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers towards maintaining Proficient Teacher Accreditation in NSW.
SPELD NSW is not required to offer refunds for professional development or other events. A full refund will be offered if the event has to be cancelled. Registration to events can be transferred to another event attendee. Please advise us of any changes to event attendees.