Many children with learning difficulties and disabilities find mathematics very challenging and experience frustration from failed learning experiences. Number skills, particularly the four operations of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division, need to be mastered before any new skills from the curriculum can be added.
This course is designed for professionals to learn strategies to support the development of effective number skills for both Primary and High School students struggling in mathematics. Participants will leave with a range of strategies and resources to assist in their teaching of mathematics.
- Review current research related to mathematics-based learning difficulties (dyscalculia);
- Understanding the complexity of common mathematical tasks through conducting a task analysis for assessment and teaching;
- Strategies and resources for introducing and remediating mathematical operations using clear and effective language and games-based learning;
- Designing individualised approached to approaching and solving worded problems with students; and
- Teaching the four operations in an age-appropriate manner for high school students.
Time: 9:30am – 3:00pm
Venue: Mortdale RSL Club
Address: Macquarie St, Mortdale
Cost: $200 (Lunch not provided)
Call (02) 8525 8222 to make a booking.
Learning Links is a Board of Studies Teaching and Educational Standards’ endorsed provider of registered professional development for accreditation and maintenance at Proficient Teacher.
Scope of Endorsement: Australian Professional Standards 1, 3, 5 and 6 for Teachers at the level of Proficient Teacher.
Teaching Effective Number Skills is registered with BOSTES for 5.5 hours of professional development at Proficient Teacher. This course addresses Australian Professional Standards for Teachers 1.2.2, 1.5.2, 1.6.2, 3.1.2, 3.2.2, 3.3.2, 3.4.2, 3.5.2, 3.6.2, 3.7.2, 5.1.2, 5.4.2, 6.2.2 & 6.4.2.