Saturday, 29th June 2019 @ 9am.
SPELD NSW Office Parramatta.
Presented by paediatric speech pathologist Carol Baker, Carol specialises in giving workshops and talks to groups of parents, carers and early educators.
This workshop will cover:
- How to make it easier for children to learn.
- Evidence-based research findings on the importance of phonics for reading and spelling.
- Practical strategies on how you can help teach the following early fundamental literacy skills:
- The speech sounds associated with the single letters of the alphabet
- Useful concepts to help children write the letters of the alphabet neatly
- How to link writing the letters of the alphabet with phonic learning
- The speech sounds associated with letters that work together eg: sh, ee, ow
- How to break words into sounds (for spelling) and blend sounds into words (for reading).
- What about sight words?
- Working with longer words (words with more than 1 syllable).
- Some spelling / reading rules.
- Working with spelling-list words.
- Tips to develop reading fluency, a rich vocabulary and reading comprehension.
Some feedback from past workshops with Carol Baker:
“I have been frustrated and feeling at a loss as to how to help my 6-year-old. Thank you so much for giving me some tools to assist him.”
“Very clear, useful instruction – a great help for us when we are trying our best to help our child”.
“Very helpful and informative. And I really enjoyed it too!”
“I wish I had learnt this years ago!”
WHEN: Doors open at 8.45am for 9am start. Saturday, 29 June
Members – $80
Non-Members – $90