9am to 3.30pm, Thursday, 26 September.
Hands on session presenting a systematic evidence based approach to teaching spelling. Based on the structure of the English language including phonology, syllabication (structural analysis) and morphology.
This NESA approved workshop will address:
- The simple view of reading – How Morphology fits in.
- Explicit instruction – teaching spelling to a whole class from Kindergarten to grade 6 (and to struggling secondary students).
- Basic procedures for spelling regular 1 syllable words based on sound-symbol relationships (phonology).
- Basic procedures for spelling irregular words.
- Spelling rules and generalisations.
- Basic procedures for spelling multisyllabic words based on syllables (structural analysis).
- Spelling rules for adding suffixes (morphological principals).
- Individual and Classroom instruction and whole school programming for Morphology.
New presenters! Cathy Harrison and Hannah Power
Cathy Harrison has an extensive teaching career spanning over 20 years, including roles within executive leadership. Her expertise and passion are evident in all her work. Cathy is highly regarded as a coach and adviser for parents and teachers. She is highly driven to assist schools in developing curriculum to improve student literacy, while supporting teacher growth and encouraging community involvement. Cathy is also the director of Rookery Road.
Hannah Power is an experienced teacher with 15+ years’ experience working in various teaching and leadership positions. In the later part of her career she has been working as an interventionist and educational consultant specialising in literacy difficulties, including dyslexia. Hannah is passionate about implementing highly effective teaching strategies to optimise student learning, and is committed to sharing her knowledge to support student growth with others.
Members – $220
Non-Member – $245
SPELD Tutor or Professional – $185
Completing this training will contribute to 5 hours and 30 minutes of NESA Registered PD addressing 1.1.2, 1.2.2, 1.6.2, 2.1.2, 2.2.2 and 2.5.2 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers towards maintaining Proficient Teacher Accreditation in NSW.
SPELD NSW has a ‘no refund’ policy. The exception is if the event had to be cancelled. Registration can be transferred if required. Please advise us of any changes.